THE PHOTOGRAPHER ON TOP OF THE ROCK OF GIBRALTER WITH AN ANGEL ABOVE
BIO, STATEMENT, AWARDS, RECOGNITIONS AND ACCOMPLISHMENTS
Global Traveler of the Year, 2007. To Contact Greg please go to the Contact Page
and also visit his SulliPix website: www.sullipix.com, or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
Greg Sullivan evolved an interest in art and photography into an opportunity to personally enjoy and share visual EarthWide experiences. For years Greg carried a camera and developed an extensive portfolio. From a background in aviation as a U.S. Air Force and FAA Air Traffic Controller, and then as an employee of United Airlines, Greg was stimulated by events related to travel and seeing the world. During the time of his airline employment Greg concluded college and graduated with a degree in Journalism. He then went on to law school and received a Juris Doctor degree. He was active in the legal field for several years, but found more interest, pleasure and excitement in seeing the world and photographing his experiences. During the past several years Greg has devoted more time and emphasis on further development of his photographic interests and skills, especially as a visual art form. In recent years Greg has been on the road, in the air, and on the water, to and from exciting venues, with over 60 traveling adventures and more than one hundred destinations. Besides touring and photographing well-known places such as London, Paris, Madrid, Athens, Rome and Venice, Greg has visited off-the-beaten-path Islands such as Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao, Dominica, Grenada, Nevis, Malta, Minorca, Murano, Delos, Rhodes and Tinos in Greece, and Los Roques, Venezuela. Other exotic and interesting locations visited include Kyoto, Japan, Istanbul, Turkey, Kotor, Montenegro, Tunis, Tunisia in North Africa, Gibralter and cruising up the Sea of Cortez, between Baja California and the mainland of Mexico, just to name a few. Unique Islands are a favorite, as well as unusual cruise ports, with many more to come. Indeed, Greg was named Global Traveler of the Year in 2007 by Global Traveler magazine and Alitalia Airlines.
Greg separates his photographic work into Galleries, which include Earth, Water, Sky, Urban, Humankind and Medley. These distinctions can be viewed on his website Galleries at www.sullipix.com. In Earth, photos include nature, flora and fauna, scenics, and landscapes. In Water, beach scenes, sunsets at sea, rivers, riverbeds, lakes and cruising experience views predominate. Sky might be his favorite, and includes images of clouds, birds and airplanes in flight, steeples and columns into the sun and sky, sunsets, and aerial photography taken while onboard enroute aircraft. Urban provides the opportunity for architectural photography, and any city view or scene that attracts his eye. In Urban, the old and new evoke sharp contrast. In Humankind, Greg likes to capture people as they are relevant to their particular environments, as opposed to planning posed circumstances. Finally, in Medley Greg takes that which doesn’t fit into one of the other Galleries and displays images he simply enjoys and finds striking and unique. These include cars, airplanes and any other visualization resulting in a photo that is an interesting or artistic image. Digitally modified images also fit into his Medley category. This unrestricted diversity provides a chance to capture any scene, circumstance or event, which offers an opportunity for a pleasing and memorable image, as opposed to settling-in on a particular genre. Most importantly Greg’s attitude is Look Around, Look Around, it’s all right there in front of you. And, with his camera he is able to share the experience, as he says, from near to afar, EarthWide, including scenes and circumstances derived from his own community and present locale.
My interest in photography is motivated by an observation of everything we see around us. Photography provides the opportunity to capture and retain a situation or view an occurrence observed. Savoring and saving the moment makes a life experience a life event to be shared. By looking around and capturing an image, a photograph taken from a unique perspective becomes art and a circumstance to be enjoyed and remembered. The camera provides the opportunity; the photographer completes the memory. So Look Around, Look Around! With my images, it's all right here.
Greg continues his education in photography by frequently attending classes and seminars from photography experts, i.e., University of California, Los Angeles, UCLA Extension, New York Institute of Photography, Nikon School, Epson Print Academy, Brooks Institute of Photography, Santa Barbara, CA, National Geographic Society, Canon, Tamron, and others [see Accomplishments in Photography, below]. Greg avidly reads a variety of periodicals and books relating to photography and art and the printing and display of art and digital images. There is an abundance of information and knowledge available to increase and develop skills in photography, especially now in the digital age. Each day provides new opportunities, the chance to gain new perspectives and improve photographic, digital editing, and printing skills.
Greg Sullivan has Won Awards, has been published and has had his images on display in Exhibitions exceeding 100 times in photographic competitions, gallery exhibitions, and related to travel and travel writing.
EXHIBITIONS, COMPETITION EXHIBITIONS, COMPETITION PUBLICATIONS, PUBLICATIONS, CONTEST AWARDS, EDUCATION IN PHOTGRAPHY, MISCELLANEOUS, INCLUDING RECOGNITIONS AND OTHER ACCOMPLISHMENTS IN PHOTOGRAPHY AND TRAVEL WRITING RELATED TO PHOTOGRAPHY
• Exhibitor selected by the John Wayne Airport Arts Commission to Exhibit photography in June, July and August 2018, at John Wayne Airport in the airport's Community Focus Space program on display throughout the Orange County Airport’s terminal.
• Exhibitor selected by jury as a photographer/artist participant in the 2016 50th Annual Laguna Art-A-Fair nationally recognized as one of the premier exhibitions of artwork featuring local and national artists. The exhibition ran for 66 days in June through August 2016, in Laguna Beach, California. The Laguna Art-A-Fair is one of the three renowned Laguna Art Festivals, which includes the Sawdust Festival and the Festival of Arts.
• Featured photographer with four framed images of nature and wildlife displayed in Orange Art Association's, Orange County, California, January, February 2015 gallery exhibition held at the administrative offices and City Council Chambers, City Hall, City of Orange, California.
• Featured photographer with four framed images of travel destinations displayed in Orange Art Association's, Orange County, California, March, April 2015 gallery exhibition held at the administrative offices and City Council Chambers, City Hall, City of Orange, California.
• Exhibitor in the Orange Art Association, Orange County, California, Members' Art Gallery, beginning 2014 to present, at orangeartassociation.org.
• Featured Artist/Photographer in an exclusive Exhibition and Show at Nottingham Gallery in Newport Beach, California, the entire month of October 2010, with display of over 50 framed images from Greg's various Galleries of Earth, Sky, Water, Urban, Medley and Humankind.
• Juried Exhibitor, 3 images, with a Third Place Award Ribbon, in the 2017 Anaheim Art Association 54rd Annual Open Juried Art Competition, sponsored by Disneyland, at the Museo's Museum and Cultural Center, Carnegie Gallery, in Anaheim, California.
• Juried Exhibitor, 2 images, and Second Place Award Winner in the 2017 21st Annual Orange Open Art Show at the Orange County Center for Contemporary Art in Santa Ana, California.
• Juried Exhibitor, 2 images, in the 2017 Orange County, California Fair photography competition, and Honorable Mention Ribbon Winner, 1 image, category Animals, Birds. Over 4,300 photographs were entered in this year's competition.
• Juried Exhibitor, 5 images, with two Honorable Mention Awards Ribbons, in the 2016 Anaheim Art Association 53rd Annual Open Juried Art Competition, sponsored by Disneyland, at the Museo’s Carnegie Museum and Cultural Center, Carnegie Gallery, in Anaheim, California. Juried Exhibitor and Third Place Award Winner in the 2016 20th Annual Orange Open Art Show at the Orange County Center for Contemporary Art in Santa Ana, California.
• Juried Exhibitor in the 2016 Orange County, California Fair photography competition. Over 6,200 photographs were entered in this year's competition.
• Juried Exhibitor, with two images, in the 2015 Orange County, California Fair photography competition. Awarded an Honorable Mention Ribbon in the category of Color, Nature, birds. 6,600 photographs were entered in this year's competition.
• Juried Exhibitor, 2 images, 1 color, 1 black & white, in the 18th Annual Orange Open Juried Fine Art Show, photography competition, held at The Muzeo's Carnegie Museum, Anaheim, California, September 2014.
• Juried Exhibitor, with three images, in the 2014 Orange County, California Fair photography competition. Images juried into the Exhibit included the categories of Black and White, machinery [Airplane]; Color, Nature, birds; and Color, Nature, flowers. Over 4,500 photographs were submitted by photographers in this competition.
• Juried Exhibitor and Third Place Award Winner in the 17th Annual Orange Open Juried Fine Art Show, photography competition, held at The Muzeo's Carnegie Museum, Anaheim, California, August 2013.
• Juried Exhibitor in 2013 Orange County, California Fair, photographic competition, in the category of Nature, Birds.
• First Place Award Winner in the color photography category and Juried Exhibitor, 3 images, 2 color, 1 black & white, in the 19th Annual Orange Open Juried Fine Art Show, photography competition, held at The Muzeo's Carnegie Museum, Anaheim, California, September 2015.
• First Place Award Winner [1 image] and Juried Exhibitor and Finalist [2 images] in the 2012 16th Orange Open Juried Fine Art and Photography Competition and Exhibition at the Guggenheim Gallery, Chapman University, Orange, California, Summer, 2012.
• Juried Exhibitor and Honorable Mention Award Winner, 2 images, [category Plants and category Animals] in the 2012 Orange County Fair, Visual Arts Photography Competition, Orange County, California. 4375 images were entered in this Annual Contest.
• First Place Award Winner, 1 image [category Animals], and Juried Exhibitor, 2 images [category Architecture], 2011 Orange County Fair, Visual Arts Photography Competition, Orange County, California. Over 4000 photographs were entered in this Annual competition.
• Competition Finalist and Juried Exhibitor in the 2010 Orange Open Fine Art and Photography Competition at the Guggenheim Gallery, Chapman University, Orange, California.
• Second Place Award Winner and Juried Exhibitor and in the Orange County, California, 2010 Fair Photography Competition, July 2010.
• Juried Exhibitor and Competition Finalist (3 images) in the 2009 Orange Art Association Open, Fine Art Exhibition, held at the Guggenheim Gallery, Chapman University, Orange, California, August 2009.
• Juried Exhibitor and Finalist (3 images), Orange County, California Fair, 2009, Photography Contest, with two awards, Juror’s Choice (1 image), and Honorable Mention (1 image).
• Second Place Award Winner and Juried Exhibitor (2 images) in the 12th Annual, All-Media Orange Open Juried Fine Art Exhibition at the Guggenheim Gallery, Chapman University, Orange, California, August 2008, in the category, Photography, Nature.
• Juried Exhibitor and Competition Finalist, Orange County, California Fair, 2008.
• First Place and Juror’s Choice Awards, as an Exhibitor in Orange County, California Fair, 2007, (2 images).
• Juried Exhibitor and Exhibition Finalist, Los Angeles, California County Fair, 2007, (2 images).
• Juried Exhibitor [5 images], Orange County, California, Fine Arts Showcase Gallery 2007, Costa Mesa, California.
• Second Place Prize Winner in Digital Photo magazine's 2017 Best Shot Contest. Awards include publication in the Winter 2017 edition of Digital Photo magazine and in Digital Photo's 9th Annual Your Best Shot Photo Contest Winners online gallery.
• Selected as a Finalist in Aviation Week & Space Technology magazine's prestigious 2015, 24th Annual, Photo Contest with publication on aviationweek.com along with all finalists and winners. Image was chosen from competing photos submitted by photographers from all 50 states in the US and all Continents on Earth [except Antarctica].
• Chosen for Caribbean Travel & Life Magazine, 101 Best Readers Photos Ever, with 5 photos chosen in the Winning group of 101 images, from more than a decade of Caribbean Travel & Life photo contests. August 2012.
• Chosen for Islands Magazine, 101 Best Readers Photos Ever, from the Greatest Winning Photos of the Islands photo contests. August 2012.
• Juried Finalist and Runner-Up Award Winner with Cover Publication in American Photo magazine's January/February 2012 issue as part of American Photo's Images of the Year, Best Shots of 2011, Competition. The winning image was published in three spots in the magazine, including as the focal point on the magazine cover, the introductory photo to the Images of the Year awards pages, and as part of the competition's Fine Art category.
• Winner in Nature's Best Photography Magazine 2010 Backyard's Contest, as one of only 27 images chosen from 5000 entries. The Winning image is featured in Nature's Best Photography Magazine's Spring/Summer 2011 edition.
• Chosen for the top 100 Photo Gallery of Images in Audubon Magazine's 2010 Photography Awards contest. The Winning, top 100 image, was picked from nearly 8000 photographs submitted by more than 1,300 photographers.
• Grand Prize Winner in Porthole Cruise Magazine's 2010 Puerto Rico Photo Contest with full page publication in Porthole's February 2011, edition. The Grand Prize Award includes a trip for two to Puerto Rico, including airfare and hotel accommodations.
• Finalist and Honorable Mention Winner in Aviation Week & Space Technology Magazine’s 2009 Photo Contest with publication of 1 image in AW&ST’s December 21/28, 2009, issue. 1,213 photographs were submitted in this Contest by 157 photographers from 15 Countries.
• First Place Winner in Caribbean Travel and Life Magazine’s 2009 photo contest, with full-page publication in CTL’s November, 2009, edition. The winning photo was chosen from over 2100 entrees, with an award of two round-trip tickets to any Air Jamaica destination. Three additional photos were chosen as finalists, and published by CTL on its website as part of the contest results. The winning photo was subsequently published to promote CTL's 2010 photo contest.
• Awarded Second Place in Islands Magazine 2009 photo contest, in competition with over 3,400 photos submitted, with a photo taken in San Juan, Puerto Rico, December 2008. Prize and benefits included full-page publication in Island’s June, 2009, issue, and a trip to Iceland for more great photo opportunities.
• Published and Honorable Mention Winner, American Photo Magazine, 2007 Images of the Year Worldwide Photo Contest, in competition with thousands of entrants from throughout the World.
• Finalist, Aviation Week & Space Technology Magazine, 2007, Photo Contest, (2 images).
• Three Awards, including Second and Third Places in Caribbean Travel and Life Magazine 2007 photo contest, with publication of three winning images and receipt of a variety of awards and prizes.
• Third Place Winner in Islands Magazine 2007 photo contest, with prize of a trip to Puerto Rico.
• Finalist and published Award Winner, with Honorarium, in Alaska Airlines/Horizon Air In-flight Magazines, 2006 photo contest. Only 10 winning photos were published from over 1,500 photos entered.
• Second Place Winner in Caribbean Travel & Life Magazine 2006 photo contest, with multiple prizes including a trip to Antigua in the Caribbean.
• Winner in National Enquirer Photo of the Week Contest resulting in the Enquirer's Photo of the Year contestant eligibility.
• Published on the cover of the World’s Best Cruise Line, Crystal Cruises’ 2016 European Collection Cruise catalog, release date, Spring 2015.
• Published in Virtuoso Life magazine, The Traveler's Guide to Inspired Pursuits, November/December 2014, on the inside cover, with photographer's image captured in Monte Carlo as part of a Crystal Cruises Redefining the Line Between Luxury and Adventure, promotional marketing advertisement.
• Published in Architectural Digest magazine, March, 2014, Conde Nast Traveler magazine, March, 2014, and Virtuoso Life magazine, March/April, 2014, [inside cover] with photographer's image captured in Monte Carlo as part of a Crystal Cruises We Believe the Road Less Traveled Isn't a Road at All, promotional marketing advertisement.
• Published image on the letterhead of Crystal's Cruises President's Introduction letter for Crystal's 2014/2015 Worldwide Atlas.
• Featured Image as part of Cruise Lines International Assn., CLIA Specialty Cruise Collection Guide, June 2013.
• Published on the Introductory page of Crystal Cruises 2014 Luxurious 7 to 10 day Voyages mini brochure, Spring, 2013, publication.
• Published, full page, in Crystal Cruises "Begin a New Story" Worldwide Atlas 2013, Winter/Spring 2014, cruise catalogue.
• Published in Architectural Digest magazine, March 2013, issue, with photographer's image captured in Monte Carlo as part of a four-page Crystal Cruises, World's Best Cruise Line, advertisement.
• Published in Virtuoso Life magazine, March/April 2013, and January/February 2014, issues, with photographer's image captured in Monte Carlo as part of a four-page Crystal Cruises, World's Best Cruise Line, advertisement.
• Published on the Cover as the focal point for Crystal Cruises, World's Best Cruise Line, Lands of Enhancement, six-page Virtuoso Travel Preferred cruise brochure, March/April 2013.
• Published full page in the World's Best Cruise Line, Crystal Cruise's 2012 Europe Collection cruise catalog, and on the cover of Crystal's travel professional's Europe 2012 brochure, with an image captured in Monte Carlo.
• Published in Global Traveler Magazine's February 2011, Edition, with a writing and photo perspective of a Lufthansa Airlines 747 Business Class flight between Frankfurt, Germany and Newark, New Jersey. The viewpoint concluded with a summary of hotel spas in Europe, including the spa at the Four Seasons Ritz in Lisbon, Portugal.
• Selected by the World’s Best Cruise Line, Crystal Cruises, for publication in its 2008, 2009 and 2010, marketing and public relations materials with an image captured by the Photographer in Monte Carlo. The image was also published, full page, in Travel+Leisure Magazine, August 2008, and in both Neiman Marcus and Horchow Catalogues, 2008. The image continued in 2010 as an important part of Crystal's website and is published full page in Crystal's 2012 European Collection Cruise catalog.
• Juried as a Finalist in Photographer’s Forum Magazine's, 37th Annual Spring Photography contest, 2017, co-sponsored by Sigma. Over 9,100 images were submitted by photographers from 48 countries Worldwide with only 13% selected for the Finalist group.
• Received Finalist Certificate, Award of Excellence, in Photographer's Forum magazine 32nd Annual Spring Photography Contest, 2012, co-sponsored by Sigma. Image chosen was in the top 13% of over 12,000 entered photos from over 60 countries worldwide. Certificate awarded November 2012.
• Chosen as a Finalist with Award of Excellence as one of only 11% of over 14,000 photographs submitted from 90 countries worldwide in Photographer's Forum magazine's 2011, 31st Annual Spring Photography Contest, co-sponsored by Sigma.
• Chosen as Contest Finalist in Photographer's Forum Magazine 30th Annual Spring Photography Contest, 2010, from amongst 3,400 photographer participants, co-sponsored by Sigma.
• Received Award of Excellence Finalist Certificate, Photographer’s Forum Magazine, 29th Annual Spring Photography contest, 2009.
• Awarded Finalist, out of 3,500 photographers, in the Spring, 2009, Photographer's Forum Magazine photo contest, co-sponsored by Canon.
• Finalist and Honorable Mention Winner in Tamron Lens’ 2008 Wet and Wild Photo Contest. Winning photo was one of only 15 images chosen from amongst 1,500 entries submitted.
EDUCATION IN PHOTOGRAPHY
• Completed University of California, Los Angeles, UCLA Extension Digital Photography course, Spring Quarter, 2013, with a final class grade of A+
• Completed The Great Courses, Fundamentals of Photography, by Joel Sartore, contributing photographer, National Geographic magazine, March 2013.
• Completed Karl Taylor's Ultimate Photo Guide, Digital Photography Series, March 2013.
• Awarded Graduate Certificate of Completion from New York Institute of Photography, Fundamentals of Digital Photography Course, July 2012.
• Received Certificates of successful completion of Nikon School Introduction to Digital SLR Photography and Nikon School Next Steps in Digital Photography: Color, Light, Technology, San Diego, California, June 2012.
• Completed Digital Photo Workshop Class, Brooks Institute of Photography, Santa Barbara, California, May 2012.
• Received Certificate of successful completion of Epson Print Academy in Los Angeles, CA, California, May 2011.
• Juried finalist in The 2018 Festival of Arts of Laguna Beach, CA exhibitor competition.
• Approved by jury as a photographer/artist participant and exhibitor in the 2017 Laguna Art-A-Fair and juried finalist in The 2017 Festival of Arts of Laguna Beach, CA exhibitor competition.
• Awarded the Designation of Certified Luxury Travel Specialist by The Travel Institute, November 2014, which included enhancing the experiential requirements of the Certification by application of travel photography experiences and travel writing. See: www.oceanaircruises.com
• As a result of the photographer’s 2007, Global Traveler of the Year award, referenced below, Greg wrote two travel essays. Summary versions of each of these travel reports were published in Global Traveler Magazine December 2008, and March 2009, issues.
• Conceived, photographed, wrote and published a photography book and inspiring tale, titled Fly High, Live Mighty, Copyright 2009. Fly High, Live Mighty is available at the www.blurb.com bookstore.
• Published a photography book as a result of travels to the Aegean Sea Cyclades Island, Mykonos, Greece, Copyright 2009. The book is available at the www.blurb.com bookstore.
• Chosen as the Winner by Global Traveler Magazine and Alitalia Airlines as “Global Traveler of the Year, 2007,” resulting from a writing competition of over 10,000 entrants. The award and round-trip travel prize to Rome, Italy, was presented to the Photographer in New York, January 2008, by Ivana Trump. The return flight from Rome, a non-stop, 13 hour flight, to Los Angeles in August, 2008, was made in Business Class on Alitalia's Boeing 777, Sestriere, the same aircraft that transported Pope Benedict XVI to the United States in April, 2008, under the appellation and air traffic control call-sign, Sheppard One.